Nieuws:

Voor vragen rond je registratie, je account of het functioneren van het forum kun je een email sturen naar:
mailaven @ freedom.nl (zonder spaties rond de @).
Vermeld dan ook even de naam waarmee je je hebt geregistreerd.

Hoofdmenu

Hello!

Gestart door CaleCaesar, april 07, 2007, 12:53:50 AM

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

CaleCaesar

Hello! My name is Cale, and I'm from Kansas. I found the Dutch forums with the link that Drievoudig A posted on the English version. Unfortunately, I don't speak any Dutch, but I can figure out a bit of it since it's pretty similar to German (Ich spreche ein bißchen Deutsch). I'm travelling to Amsterdam next month. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do there?

Triple a

Citaat van: CaleCaesar op april 07, 2007, 12:53:50 AM
Hello! My name is Cale, and I'm from Kansas. I found the Dutch forums with the link that Drievoudig A posted on the English version. Unfortunately, I don't speak any Dutch, but I can figure out a bit of it since it's pretty similar to German (Ich spreche ein bißchen Deutsch). I'm travelling to Amsterdam next month. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do there?

There is a purple building somewhere near the outskirts of the city. Its quite large, and might be made of purple siding. Can you find and identify it for me?  ;D

But the Dutch will have to respond for all other entertainment ventures in the area.

*Also note the dutch security guards are very touchy-feely to anyone who sets off the metal detector so be sure you don't do it - you don't have a chance to take off your shoes or recheck your pockets either. Once it goes off they are grabbing all over you. They weren't like that coming back from SPain though, just entering through the US.

Jovi_Hobbes

You probably encountered a grumpy security guard  :D

Welcome Cale  :cake:
It's very funny to read that so far all Americans who came to our forum can speak or read some German. As we all learn some German in highschool too, maybe we should start communicating in German instead of English or Dutch  :D
How nice that you are going to Amsterdam. I'm not sure I can really answer your question. There is so much you can do in Amsterdam! If you tell us what you are interested in, we might be able to tell you what to see and where to go.
I don't know how long you'll be staying for, but if you have a chance to go and see some other place than Amsterdam I can really recommend that. Eventhough Amsterdam is a great place it is also very tourist oriented and it will probably not give you a very realistic overall impression of the Netherlands.
Is there anybody out there, just like everybody out there?
Just one somebody out there, just like me?

Ereinion

Next month is our meet-up  :D

Welcome Cale!  :cake:?
Alleen mensen zonder fantasie, vluchten in de realiteit.

CaleCaesar

Citaat van: Ereinion op april 07, 2007, 07:32:28 PM
Next month is our meet-up  :D

What date is the meetup? I think I'm only going to be there on 24 and 25 May.

I was talking to a coworker last week who lived in Holland for several years, and he told me to stay out of Amsterdam. He suggested either seeing Rotterdam or the Hague. I was looking into seeing how long taking a train would take and how much tickets would cost, but I was having problems finding the information.

Triple a

Citeerhe told me to stay out of Amsterdam. He suggested either seeing Rotterdam

:o :o  Uh-oh.

Jovi_Hobbes

The meet-up is the 12th, so unfortunately you'll miss that.

Information about train tickets you can find on www.ns.nl
The Hague is closer to Amsterdam. I did some quick research for you: From Amsterdam Central Station to the Hague Central Station will take about 50 minutes and costs €17.70.
If you go directly from Schiphol it is only 30 minutes and costs €13.-
Amsterdam Central Station to Rotterdam Central Station will take an hour and costs €22.80
Schiphol-Rotterdam Central is 40-45 minutes and costs €18.70

I can also recommend Leiden, which is halfway between Amsterdam and The Hague. It is a beautiful city with lots of culture.
Schiphol-Leiden is 17 minutes and costs  €9.-

Whichever you choose, I hope you'll have a very good time  :wave:

Sismo

And so far our tourleader Jovi Hobbes!  ;D
Maak van elke dag een sprookje: red draken en versla verwende prinsessen, kus af en toe een kikker en pluk de rijpe bramen -Loesje-

Ereinion

:klap:

Wat lief van je, Jovi!
Alleen mensen zonder fantasie, vluchten in de realiteit.

Jovi_Hobbes

Beroepsafwijking  :-[

Sismo

Je werkt toch niet bij de NS?
Maak van elke dag een sprookje: red draken en versla verwende prinsessen, kus af en toe een kikker en pluk de rijpe bramen -Loesje-

myra

CaleCaesar

Citaat van: Jovi_Hobbes op april 09, 2007, 10:48:34 AM
The meet-up is the 12th, so unfortunately you'll miss that.

Information about train tickets you can find on www.ns.nl
The Hague is closer to Amsterdam. I did some quick research for you: From Amsterdam Central Station to the Hague Central Station will take about 50 minutes and costs €17.70.
If you go directly from Schiphol it is only 30 minutes and costs €13.-
Amsterdam Central Station to Rotterdam Central Station will take an hour and costs €22.80
Schiphol-Rotterdam Central is 40-45 minutes and costs €18.70

I can also recommend Leiden, which is halfway between Amsterdam and The Hague. It is a beautiful city with lots of culture.
Schiphol-Leiden is 17 minutes and costs  €9.-

Whichever you choose, I hope you'll have a very good time  :wave:

Dank u!

Sismo

Tempesta

Citaat van: Jovi_Hobbes op april 07, 2007, 04:35:06 PM
maybe we should start communicating in German instead of English or Dutch  :D

Ehm, since they know English and we at least know Denglish (the English that Dutch people speak when they think they're good at English), maybe it's better to stick with English. My German isn't what it used to be ;).

Citaat van: Jovi_Hobbes op april 07, 2007, 04:35:06 PM
I don't know how long you'll be staying for, but if you have a chance to go and see some other place than Amsterdam I can really recommend that. Eventhough Amsterdam is a great place it is also very tourist oriented and it will probably not give you a very realistic overall impression of the Netherlands.

Hear hear. But if you're in Amsterdam anyway, I would recommend the Kalverstraat as far as shopping goes.